Saturday, July 15, 2023

Chai - My Version

Google "chai recipe" and you will get many versions with ingredients all over the place.  Some of them I have to wonder if they have ever actually tasted Indian chai.  Many years ago my boss went down to a new Starbucks in our building and picked up her afternoon coffee.  She said down for a meeting, took a tiny sip and choked, "This is tea!".  Needless to say she did not get her fix, but I got the "tea".  Turned out to be chai.  After years of trying to work out how they made it, and finally getting a friend's wife from India to give up her recipe, this is my American taste version.  As it turns out, there is much more ingredients in chai than I was aware of!  If you are from the Middle East, I know your version is much different, but that I have never been able to try that.  

Doc's Chai

For a single serving, heat water to a soft boil (approximately 2 cups) and add the following:


  • 2 black tea bags of your choice or use loose tea in a loose tea ball.  Straight black tea works best like China Black or Keemun, maybe Oolong depending upon your tastes
  • 2-4 green cardamom pods, to taste (suck on them to soften them, break them open and separate and crush the little black seeds with the flat of a large knife for a stronger flavor)
  • 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 2 cloves
  • 11 fennel seeds (do not use more)
  • 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ginger (powdered will work, but fresh works best)


Add milk to tea once done, approximately 2 cups or double your water volume.  This will cool the tea down if the milk is cold, so you may need to keep it on a low burner to heat it back up to your desired temperature.  


The spices above should be put into a cloth bag, like a tea bag or a large metal tea strainer.  Bring water just to a boil, turn off, and let simmer for several minutes.


When done add sweetener to taste.  Sugar, honey, and honey crystals all have been tried effectively with each changing the flavor a bit.  I believe honey is the preferred sweetener, but you can find honey crystals with honey and a little sugar.  


A note about ginger - for some areas of India this is only added to chai when a family member is not feeling well. On the other hand, I had an Indian doctor tell me this is necessary for increasing the blood flow in the morning and to set your digestive system in order.  As I enjoy the taste, I figure it is good all the time when I make chai.


Please note, the measurements are meant to vary to the user’s taste.  You can leave out the cloves and fennel seeds and it will taste much like Tazo Chai, for example. You will also find the amount of cardamom is very much to your taste.  As you get used to the cardamom, the amount you use will increase.  Once you get used to it, try smashing the seeds and see how much that changes the flavor again.  


Let the recipe grow with you.  While there are many variants, I have found this basic recipe works for me without adding vanilla or any of the other flavorings.  


Enjoy and have fun exploring the flavors!

No comments:

Post a Comment