Thursday, May 21, 2015

A Lesson from David

In my adventures through the OT, I am reading in Psalms.  While I keep finding new things that interest me, Chapter 27 had several verses that I thought I worth chatting about.  While I was only going to focus on a few verses, I must say a special friend, Ligaya, gave me the input to add quite a bit more.  A special thank you to her blessing!

David starts off in verse one with something we should pay attention to.

27:1, "The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?"

The first six verses focus on David's courage and bravery.  The key to it all is faith.  His focus is on the Lord, which gives him confidence and changes his perspective.  While we all can say we have or have had serious problems, can you really say your issues can top David's?  At this point in time he had just about everyone trying to kill him at one time or another, running for his life over and over again.  With no end to his enemies, and from some Psalms we learn he truly never knew if he would wake up each morning alive, we know he did have an interesting view.  His view was that his problems were nothing to God.

God was David's light, and his salvation.  John 8:12 tell us David was right, "Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life."  Our challenge today is to see what David saw.  Is Christ your light?  Do you lean on Him for your salvation?  Have you become as a believer what Christ said you were to be?

Matthew 5:14, "Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid."  From my perspective here in America, I think few believers today display light.  We are to be the light and salt in this world, something we are failing, but we should not be.  We can all turn our lives around and be who Christ wants us to be.  How?  Remember David's faith, and what he shows us in the last verses.

In 7-14 David shows us his desire toward God.  In verse 7 he says what we all feel, "Hear, O LORD, when I cry with my voice: have mercy also upon me, and answer me."  He asks again what we all wish, and how any child feels about their father.  Hear me, don't hide from me, don't leave me, teach me, and lead me safely.

David summarizes this very well in the last verse, verse 14, "Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD."

Patience, I was told, is something you should pray for.  What they did not tell me was that in order to learn patience you much experience trials to teach it.  I have regretted praying for patience as a young man many times, for our Father does attempt to teach it and never gives up.  Here David tells us to wait on the Lord.  It isn't just patience, but the faith of knowing you are waiting on Him in His time.  Having courage means the fear is diminished over not hearing, our the Lord builds up our hearts while we wait.

So, be of good courage, be patient, but most importantly seek God's face.  Stay in the Bible, reading and paying attention to what you read.  Pray constantly.  Seek to have conversations with Father throughout the day.  After a day of this you will find yourself at peace, with your heart strengthened and little fear.  May God bless your journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment